Not all of us get it right the first time and that is okay. If the old adage “Practice makes perfect” is correct, this will be the wedding that sticks. Us old timers grew up with the songs that inspired love. The oldies really work well when it comes to reception playlists. The artists of the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s knew how to make people fall in love with their beautiful, yet simple melodies. Here is a sample of what an oldies playlist might sound like. Feel free to use it, some of it, or mix it up with any other playlist and have a great time! This songs work perfectly for the guests that are into older music, during the dinner stage of your reception, or anytime you are in the mood to stare into each other’s eyes and fall in love all over again.
Make This One The Best One
Nobody’s perfect, but that has never stopped true love from coming into your life. When it comes to the second or even third wedding, maybe you will finally get it right. Try to have fun while you theme your reception with all of the old songs that first inspired love in all of us old-timer’s lives. It does not matter if you are on your first or second (or more) wedding, the older you are… the better the music.
Don’t Forget “Your Song”
Play this playlist and get everyone’s blood pumping and longing for the good old days. Add “Your song” to the bottom of the list. The song that you both love and consider to be your song should be played when you dance together at the reception, or make the last song played so that you can have a special sendoff.
- The Temptations have to top this list with “My Girl” or it would not be a proper list.
- Billy Joel may not be an oldie… but he knows how to bring one to life with “Hey Girl”, the remake of the classic that will blow your guests away.
- It is true… “I Can’t Help Myself” (Sugar-pie Honeybunch) by the Four Tops is another must have for your playlist.
- Gladys Knight and the Pips know a good love song when they sing it so let it flow with “Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me”.
- What oldies song could be more apropos than “Can’t take My Eyes Off Of You”… Especially the Jersey Boy’s Rendition of this classic wedding song.
- Bread… with their hit love song “If ” nuff said?
- King Floyd talks about marriage in this classic groovin’ song… “Groove Me”.
- Marvin Gaye will tell you that “Ain’t Nothin’ Like The Real Thing, Baby”.
- If there is one thing that is vital in a new marriage its “RESPECT”, so let Aretha Franklin lay the terms of that respect on you.
- Then let the Miracles tell you that “You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me” An instant wedding reception song classic.
- No one gets your reception guests rockin’ and rollin’ in their seats like Al Green and “You Ought To Be With Me”.
- What says love more than a good round of The Platters and “Smoke Gets In Your Eyes?”… Not much.
- If Paul Anka wants you to “Put Your Head on My Shoulder” who are we to argue with that?
- While this would have been number one if this were a popularity contest, it is not. It is a wedding reception playlist. With that said, The Righteous Brothers and the fabulous “Unchained Melody” is definitely a great selection.
- The Crystals tell the perfect wedding story with “Then He Kissed me”.
- When you play Jackie Wilson and “Higher and Higher” you might want to get out of the way of the dance floor lest you get run over.
- (What A) “Wonderful World” (This would be) by Sam Cooke will make any playlist.
- Marvin can jump onto this playlist as many times as he wants to… so there. “How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You” is a definite reception playlist hit.
- This playlist would not be near complete unless Barry White made an appearance. “Can’t Get Enough Of Your Love” definitely has to be here.
- Let’s wrap this playlist up with one of the greatest songs of the century… certainly one of the most memorable… The Spinners with… “Could it be I’m Falling In Love”.
It Does Not Get Much Better!
Wow…, what a great ride! I hope you have as much fun reading this playlist as we had putting it together. Wedding playlists are supposed to be fun and a joyous celebration of your union with the one you love. Choose your songs wisely and enjoy your special day. With an incredible and memorable playlist like this, the wedding reception is bound to be a success.